Quality matters when hiring for a big project. Call a Best Pick now!
Keep These Poisonous Plants Out of Your GardenMay 28th, 2016 by
While we’ve detailed several of the most common poisonous houseplants, they aren’t the only plants you should be cautious of. Some of the most beautiful and common garden plants can also be toxic. As children and pets spend their summers outside, it’s best to know exactly what may be lurking in your backyard.
There are certain plants that homeowners know to keep out of their yards, such as poison ivy or poison oak. However, there are many other plants that pose a potential risk to the health of your household, some of which are garden staples and commonly used for landscaping. Listed below are five toxic plants that you may find in your landscape.
- Autumn Crocus. Also known as meadow saffron, this ornamental plant is toxic for humans, dogs, cats, and horses. The entire plant is hazardous, but if humans ingest the bulbs, it can cause vomiting and nervous excitement. Pets may also experience shock and damage to multiple organs.
- Daffodil. While safe to touch, these popular springtime flowers can have an adverse effect if ingested. If a child eats daffodil bulbs, it can lead to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and in extreme cases, death. In pets, the bulbs can cause vomiting, convulsions, and cardiac arrhythmias.
- Hyacinth. Hyacinths are another common ornamental plant, and the bulbs are particularly toxic. If eaten in large quantities, they can be fatal. In smaller doses, they cause vomiting and diarrhea in humans and pets. Hyacinths have also been linked to depression and tremors in cats, dogs, and horses.
- Hydrangea. This plant contains cyanogenic glycoside, which can be toxic to both humans and their pets. Hydrangeas typically cause mild symptoms in humans, such as skin rashes, diarrhea, vomiting, and nausea. Pets experience similar symptoms as well as depression.
- Iris. Also known as snake lilies and water flags, irises can be toxic if ingested. Certain parts of the plant, particularly the rhizome, have high concentrations of a toxic chemical. Irises can cause severe digestive problems in humans and cause salivation, drooling, and lethargy in cats and dogs.
Once you’ve identified any potential toxic plants in or around your home, you can replace them with safe options. If you suspect your child or pet has been poisoned, contact your doctor, veterinarian, or local poison center. Remember that identifying the plant, estimating how much was eaten, and monitoring the symptoms is very important for a healthy recovery.