With its position on the eastern seaboard, Boston experiences its fair share of rainy springs and cold winters, but the unparalleled fall foliage is worth every gray day.
Boston residents certainly experience a full four seasons each year, which means that a good heating system is essential to getting you comfortably through the chilly winters. Summers in Boston are no slouch, however, so don’t forget to make sure your air conditioner works before temperatures start to rise.
The best way to stay comfortable year-round is to have your HVAC system serviced regularly by one of the reputable, qualified Best Pick Boston HVAC companies.
Services Offered by Boston HVAC Contractors
Regardless of the type of heating and air conditioning system you have or your service needs, a professional Boston heating and air contractor will be able to help. Most Boston HVAC companies offer installations, repair, and standard maintenance service for the following equipment:
- Gas and electric furnaces
- Heat pumps
- Central air conditioning systems
- Mini-splits and other ductless systems
- High-efficiency systems
- Air quality control products
Be sure to ask your contractor about additional services, such as oil-to-gas conversions, gas fitting, and plumbing and electric work.
Boston Heating and Cooling System Efficiency
How to keep costs low
Keeping your home comfortable through the year can get expensive. Some of that expense is out of your control—you can’t do much about the price of electricity, natural gas, or oil, unfortunately. But you can make small changes that will help keep your utility costs in check.
- Install a programmable thermostat. Programmable and smart thermostats can automatically nudge the temperature up or down a few degrees when you leave the house, which saves you money in the long run.
- Set your thermostat to 68 degrees in the winter and 78 degrees in the summer. According to the US Department of Energy, these are the best, most efficient thermostat settings. If you’re serious about keeping energy costs down, follow these recommendations.
- Change your furnace filters quarterly. Change them monthly if you have pets or allergies. Dirty filters force your HVAC system to work harder, which translates to higher running costs.
- Don’t fall behind on regular maintenance visits. Your HVAC technician should service your system in the fall and in the spring. These preventative visits are the best way to ensure your system is running smoothly and efficiently.
How to choose a new system
Heating and cooling systems don’t last forever, and they typically lose efficiency (and cost more to run) as they age. Your HVAC technician may be able to offer some stop-gap measures to buy you another month or two, but ultimately, a furnace or A/C unit past its expected lifespan will need to be replaced.
Be sure to keep an eye on the SEER value (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) as you compare systems. In Boston (and elsewhere in the Northeast), all central air conditioning units must have a SEER value of at least 13. The higher this number, the more efficient the unit.
Always work with a professional, experienced Boston heating and air conditioning contractor for the purchase and installation of a new system. Heaters and air conditioners must be sized correctly in order to work efficiently, and a pro will have the knowledge and equipment to ensure everything is done correctly.
The Best Picks for Boston Air Conditioning and Heating Companies
An efficient heating and cooling system is a must-have in Boston, which is why the Best Pick Reports survey team reaches out to Boston homeowners each year to determine the best heating and air conditioning contractors near you.
All Best Pick companies are vetted on an annual basis for high-quality work and stellar customer service, and we verify all state-required licenses and insurance every year, too. Our intense qualification process ensures that we only recommend companies that are the very best in your area. We’re proud to present that information in a format that is straightforward and easy to navigate.
When you call one of our Best Pick air conditioning and heating companies in Boston, you’ll receive outstanding service from beginning to end—we guarantee it!