With Dallas’ intense summers, electricity is a must-have to keep the air conditioning running and your house a comfortable refuge from the heat. If your home’s electrical system isn’t working correctly, your HVAC system probably isn’t, either, and that’s not good when the temperatures spike.
Always turn to the pros when your house needs electrical work. Professional electricians are well versed in current code standards and best practices, and they know when a project requires municipal permitting and inspection.
DIY work can be tempting, but don’t run the risk of hurting yourself or damaging your house by getting in over your head.
Services Provided by Dallas Electricians
Electricians in Dallas can handle any task related to your home’s electrical system, from straightforward lighting installations to more complex rewiring projects and main panel change-outs.
Don’t hesitate to ask your electrician about the following more specialized services, too:
- Exterior and landscape lighting
- Entertainment and audiovisual system wiring and installation
- Home security and surveillance system wiring and installation
- Hot tub and spa wiring and installation
Any electrician you hire should hold a current Texas electrician’s license. Insisting on a current license helps ensure that the work done on your home will be correct and to code.
Electrical safety inspections
When was the last time you had your home’s electrical system inspected? If you can’t remember or have never had one, call your electrician today.
Periodic electrical safety inspections are important because they can help catch small issues before they progress into major problems. In most cases, a safety inspection once every five years is sufficient, but you’ll need additional inspections if you renovate or add on to your home.
Here’s what you can expect your electrician to do during a typical inspection:
- Inspect the exterior electrical service meter
- Test all GFCI and AFCI outlets and breakers
- Inspect the main panel and any subpanels for proper size and correct installation
- Test all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, replacing batteries if necessary
- Identify electrical hazards and draw up a plan for fixing them
Even if your home is relatively new, don’t assume that its electrical system is in perfect shape. Your electrician can also make recommendations for increasing your home’s efficiency, which will likely have a positive effect on your monthly utility bills.
Electrical system repair
You may not give much thought to your home’s electrical system when everything is working as it should, but the reality is that signs of electrical issues can be subtle. And because the majority of your electrical system is covered by walls, problems can progress without displaying clear outward clues.
Luckily, there are some important signs you can watch for:
- GFCI and AFCI devices and outlets that trip consistently (or that won’t stay in the open position when reset)
- Circuit breakers that trip consistently and/or trip immediately after being reset
- Light switches and power outlets that spark, feel hot, or make buzzing or popping noises
- Current disruptions, usually in the form of power surges or flickering lights, when you turn on a household appliance
Call an electrician if you notice any of the above. Tripping outlets and breakers, abnormalities in light switches and power outlets, and noticeable current disruptions are all signs that something isn’t right with the levels of electricity in your home’s circuits.
Since too much electricity flowing through a circuit that isn’t protected by a circuit breaker can cause wires to overheat and catch fire, these issues must be corrected immediately.
The Best Picks for the Top Dallas Electrical Contractors
Finding a reputable, experienced electrician in Dallas isn’t always easy, and that’s why the Best Pick Reports survey team reaches out to Dallas homeowners every year to identify the best electrical contractors in the area.
All Best Pick companies are vetted on an annual basis for ongoing high-quality work and outstanding customer service. We verify all state-required licenses and insurance each year, too. Our rigorous company qualification process means that the companies we recommend truly are the best of the best, and we’re proud to present that information in a format that is straightforward and simple to navigate.
When you hire a Best Pick Dallas electrician, you can rest assured that your home is in good hands. You’ll be pleased with the experience from beginning to end—we guarantee it!