Your home’s roof is one of its most important assets—those shingles take the worst of the weather that passes through Houston, ensuring that you and your family stay dry, safe, and comfortable. But roofing materials don’t last forever, and they are subject to damage from high winds, extreme temperatures, and insufficient ventilation.
If your roof is nearing the end of its expected lifespan, or if strong storms have hit the metro area recently, give one of our Best Pick roofers in Houston a call for an inspection and sound advice on your next steps.
Roof Repair from the Best Roofers in Houston
Services provided by roofing contractors in Houston
The best roofing companies in Houston can all handle any roof-related task that comes their way. Give a Best Pick roofer a call if you need:
- Roof repair
- A roof inspection
- A new roof
Some roofers may also provide other exterior home improvement services. Ask your roofer about the following options:
- Skylight installation
- Gutter repair and replacement
- Siding installation
- Window and door replacement
- Attic ventilation and insulation installation
Common causes of roof problems
Tree branches and limbs that fall during the strong storms that hit Houston in the spring and fall can cause roof leaks and punctures. Call a Houston roofer for an inspection as soon as possible after a storm rolls through.
Missing or failed flashing around connecting sections of the roof or chimneys, vents, and skylights can be the cause of leaks and moisture problems in your home. Does your skylight leak a little every time it rains? The flashing has probably gone bad—a straightforward fix for a pro.
Critters spell disaster for your roof. Rodents and animals can fit through surprisingly small holes and gaps in your home’s eaves, so if you hear scratching or other unusual sounds coming from the attic, call a Best Pick roofer and an animal removal specialist.
Lack of maintenance is another common cause of roof problems. And it’s not hard to see why. Not many people are keen to climb up on their roof—especially if it’s a couple of stories in the air. And once you’re up there, exactly what should you look for? All the more reason to call in the pros once a year for a roof inspection. They know what to look for and how to keep your roof in good shape.
Reasons you might need a roof replacement
Like any other type of exterior home improvement work, replacing a roof is an expensive investment. That being said, a leaky, damaged roof can easily make a house uninhabitable, so the cost is worth every penny—but a roof replacement is not something you want to do if it isn’t completely necessary.
Here are the most common reasons you may need a new roof:
1. The existing roof is old. The average asphalt shingle roof—one of the most common roof types in Houston—will last approximately 20 years. Architectural asphalt shingles will last about 30 years, and high-end composite shingles can give you about 50 years of protection. Metal, slate, and tile roofs have the longest lifespan—an average of about 80 years with consistent maintenance.
2. The roof has storm damage. Even if a strong storm didn’t cause a tree to come crashing down on your house, your roof may still have sustained damage. Hail-damaged shingles, for example, don’t provide as much protection as shingles that haven’t been hit. A high percentage of compromised roofing material can warrant a new roof.
3. You’ve noticed persistent leaking. Roof leaks are never a good sign, but isolated instances usually don’t call for a new roof. Consistent leaks and moisture problems in the attic are signs of more complex problems, and you might need a new roof.
The Best Pick for the Top Roofing Companies in Houston
The survey team at Best Pick Reports contacts Houston homeowners each year to find the best roofing companies in the area. All Best Pick companies must adhere to our strict quality standards to maintain their status as a Best Pick, which is why we conduct our research annually.
We’re proud to present the findings of our objective research in a clear, easy-to-navigate format that helps you find the right roofer for your needs. Contact a Best Pick Houston roofer today to make sure that your roof replacement or repair is handled by a pro. You’ll be pleased with the entire experience—we guarantee it!