Seattle is a beautiful place to call home, and it is even better when you can enjoy the outdoors from the comfort of a great deck. A custom-built decks is a perfect addition to your home's look, and it showcases the lush greenery and serenity of the Pacific Northwest.
When you look for local deck builders, find one that also performs maintenance to ensure your deck lasts for a lifetime. Maintenance is an important part of home ownership, particularly with outdoor structures like decks and porches.
The rainfall in Seattle often causes mildew growth on decking, so the materials you choose for your deck are just as important as keeping it well maintained and cleaned.
Seattle Deck Contractors
Building your dream deck
Decks in Seattle used to be mainly built with hardwood products, like cedar, due to the beauty and abundance of trees in the area. However, as time progressed, those products did not stand up to the weather. Composite wood products were used commonly in the mid to late 1990s, but these newer products were also affected by mold growth and moisture.
Today, most homeowners still opt for wood products, but composite products and PVC decking are also popular choices. There is a good and bad side to all materials, and while PVC and composite materials can mimic the look of real wood products, some homeowners prefer cedar and other hardwoods for their authentic appearance.
Here is a breakdown of the most commonly used products, as well as their advantages and downfalls.
- While the initial cost of hardwood decking materials is lower or equal to other options, the long-term maintenance cost is higher.
- Hardwood must be painted and/or sealed, and regular maintenance includes staining, oiling, or sanding to hold up to the weather.
- Because untreated wood does not resist mold and mildew, raw planks can be damaged over time by the elements.
- Today's composite products are a mixture of wood fibers and synthetic materials. Their initial cost is lower than solid PVC decking materials. The long-term cost is typically higher because composite products are slightly less weather resistant than PVC.
- Composite decks are easier to maintain than wood. Composite decks can be cleaned with a hose, soft broom, and bleach-free cleaner when necessary.
- Composite decking is not as mold, mildew, or moisture resistant as PVC. Because it is a porous surface, PVC planks are prone to fungus growth and warping.
- The initial cost of solid PVC decking is higher than most other materials, but the long-term maintenance cost is lower.
- PVC cannot be stained or refinished, and it should be cleaned regularly.
- The look of hardwood can be imitated with PVC, but without the necessary maintenance of wood products. Cleaning can be done in the same way as with composite decking, using a hose, soft broom, and mild cleaner when necessary.
- PVC is the most mold, mildew, and moisture resistant material.
Repairing, maintaining, and cleaning your deck
Depending on which material you choose for your deck, there are different methods to clean and maintain your investment. A Best Pick deck builder may also offer deck maintenance services and will know the best methods.
If you have noticed any of the following damage to your deck, regardless of the material, contact a deck builder for repair work:
- Cracked or damaged decking, railings, stairs, or boards
- Pest damage
- Loose boards
If you have noticed mold, mildew, or surfacing issues on your deck, ask your deck contractor about cleaning and maintenance services. Depending on the material used for your deck, maintenance will include:
- Power washing
- Staining or painting
- Cleaning with mild chemicals or soap
Note that some deck contractors do not offer maintenance services or small repairs unless you are a previous customer. Be sure to ask the contractor you hire about the specific services his or her company offers.
The Best Picks for the Top Seattle Deck Contractors
Finding the right company to build or repair your deck can be easier said than done. That's why the survey team at Best Pick Reports reaches out to Seattle homeowners every year to find the best deck building and maintenance contractors near you.
Every Best Pick company is fully vetted annually to make sure they provide the highest-quality work along with excellent customer service. Our company qualification process means that the companies we recommend are the best of the best, and we're proud to present the results of our surveys in a format that is clear and easy to navigate.
When you work with a Best Pick deck building company in Seattle, you'll have a great experience—we guarantee it.