From a functionality standpoint, the hot Texas sun can do a number on the outside of your house over the years. Older vinyl siding may begin to fade and warp after decades of UV ray exposure, and poorly maintained wood siding is no match for the humid Houston summers. Luckily, a Best Pick Houston siding company can deliver advice and high-quality work to keep your home in good shape.
Siding Installation and Repair
Basics of siding installation
Siding installation is a labor-intensive process, so you can expect to have crew members working on your house for approximately two weeks, depending on square footage and the complexity of the job.
Here are the basic steps of siding installation:
1. Removal of existing siding. Asbestos siding is a common exception to this rule—because of the health risks associated with asbestos, this type of siding must either be sided over or remediated.
2. House wrap installation. House wrap is a thin but strong synthetic material that protects your house from the elements and serves as a breathable barrier between the siding and the exterior walls.
3. Flashing installation. Metal flashing prevents water from leaking into your home at joints—corners and window and door sills are the most common spots where leaks happen.
4. Siding and trim installation. Installing the new siding and trim is one of the last steps, but all the preparation beforehand ensures that the end result will look great and perform well for many years to come.
Even though the installers will be working on the outside of your house, you will likely hear and feel the work being done when you’re inside. It’s a good idea to remove any artwork or decorative pieces that are hanging up inside. Move furniture away from the walls, too, to lessen the likelihood of damage.
Signs you might need siding repair
If your home has a few areas of damaged or deteriorated siding, don’t panic. The solution may be just a simple repair. Contact a few Best Pick siding repair companies for estimates and advice if you see any of the following:
- Holes or gashes in the siding
- Loose siding boards
- Warped areas
- Areas of rot, if you have wood siding
- Persistent mold or mildew growth
- Cold or hot spots inside your home
Because siding plays an important part in keeping your home safe and dry, promptly addressing any problems is important. Remember, too, that catching and correcting small issues early on saves you money in the long run.
The Best Pick for Houston Siding Companies
The survey team at Best Pick Reports contacts Houston homeowners each year to identify the best siding companies in the Houston metro area. Each Best Pick company must pass our stringent qualifying process with flying colors each year to maintain their status as a Best Pick.
We know that sifting through pages and pages of online search results can be overwhelming, and we’re proud to organize the results of our objective research in a clear, easy-to-navigate website that makes finding the right contractor simple and quick. Contact a Best Pick siding company in Houston today to get your home’s siding looking spiffy!