As the darkest, dampest place in your home, your basement is susceptible to problems with water intrusion. Water where it doesn’t belong in your house is never good—on top of the musty smell, mold and mildew can lead to a host of health problems and serious deterioration of your house.
Basement water problems can be hard to fix, so it’s important to work with an experienced waterproofing contractor to ensure that the root of the problem is fixed.
Chicago Basement Waterproofing Services
Causes of basement water problems
Basements are great—the extra storage space is hard to beat, and when they’re finished nicely, they make wonderful, cozy family rooms. That being said, any space that is below grade (underground, in other words) is vulnerable to water intrusion.
When you plan your annual home maintenance schedule, keep these common causes of basement floods in mind:
- Clogged gutters. The purpose of a gutter system is to channel water away from your house. If the gutters are full of leaves, rainwater will spill over the sides, very close to your home’s foundation. To prevent this problem, have your gutters cleaned in the late fall and again in the late spring.
- Improperly placed or too-short downspouts. Downspouts are part of your gutter system, and they also serve to keep water away from your house. If they don’t reach far enough away from your foundation, rainwater can puddle and seep into your basement.
- Landscaping. Your yard and any planting beds should slope downward, away from your house. If you’ve recently had your yard landscaped and now notice low spots collecting water near your foundation, talk to your landscaper about regrading.
- Snow melt and excess rain. Chicago’s cold winters and rainy springs mean that the ground can get waterlogged, increasing the chance that you’ll see damp spots in your basement. While you can’t control the weather, shoveling snow away from your foundation and keeping your gutters clean will reduce your chances of a basement flood.
If you’ve had problems with water in the basement in past years, don’t wait until it happens again before calling a waterproofing pro for help. Do what you can with maintenance tasks to lessen the risk, and have an expert evaluate your home for a permanent fix.
Common solutions to water intrusion problems
A damp basement can be caused by a number of problems, which means that one repair method may not work for every house. Your waterproofing contractor should thoroughly inspect your basement to determine the best fix for your situation.
Ask your contractor about the following common waterproofing methods:
- Crack injection
- Crawl space lining/encapsulation
- Exterior waterproof membrane installation
- Sump pump installation
- Drain tile installation
Depending on the scope of the problem, you may need additional services, such as foundation repair or structural reinforcement. Your contractor may mention some of the following specialty services:
- Foundation crack repair
- Concrete raising and leveling
- Yard drainage system installation
- Humidity control device installation
- Wall bracing and straightening
- Backup sump pump system installation
- Window well installation
The important thing to remember is that the solution must be customized to your house. If a contractor offers a quote for a quick fix without seeing the problem firsthand, cross that company off your list and keep looking.
The Best Picks for Top Chicago Waterproofing Companies
Basement water intrusion problems are stressful, and that's why the Best Pick Reports survey team contacts Chicago homeowners each year to find the best waterproofing companies in your area.
All Best Pick companies are fully vetted on an annual basis for high-quality work and excellent customer service. We verify all state-required licenses and insurance every year, too. Our rigorous qualification process means that the companies we recommend to you truly are the best of the best, and we’re proud to present that information in a format that is clear and easy to navigate.
When you hire a Best Pick waterproofer, you can take comfort in knowing that you’re working with one of the top waterproofing contractors in Chicago. You’ll have a fantastic experience from beginning to end—we guarantee it!