Quality matters when hiring for a big project. Call a Best Pick now!
5 Ways to Spruce up Your PorchJanuary 27th, 2016 by
Your home’s porch is a fantastic spot for entertaining and relaxing outdoors without being completely at the mercy of the elements. If you feel like your outdoor space lacks pizzazz and personality, read on for five porch decorating ideas.
1. Don’t shy away from textiles. Using fabric outdoors may seem like one of the crazier porch design ideas out there, but these details will make the porch feel more like an extension of your home. Colorful rugs, throw blankets, and cushions make outdoor furniture more comfortable and can serve to either continue your home’s interior design scheme or completely differentiate it from the rest of the house.
2. Use lamps and other decorations for ambience. Bringing elements outdoors that are normally only found indoors will make the porch feel much more welcoming. Lamps and candles (carefully attended, of course) add soft, cozy light and can extend the life of a gathering past sundown. Mirrors reflect light to brighten the space and make it appear more open.
3. Turn the space into an outdoor dining room. An alfresco dining room is a fun, practical way to use your porch or patio. Durable wood or metal furniture will withstand the weather for many years, and linens and seasonal decorations can be used to set the mood. Use portable heaters or fans to warm or cool the space to ensure your guests’ comfort.
4. Use paint to your advantage. Paint is one of the easiest and most cost-effective ways to change the look of a space, and the porch is no exception. A painted floor—either in one color or in a pattern—will add personality and help set the tone for the porch or patio. Don’t forget the ceiling, either. A soft blue has different meanings associated with it depending on where in the country you live, but it is always a classic choice for a porch ceiling.
5. Create a sleeping porch. A mainstay of traditional Southern homes, a sleeping porch is a breezy, quiet place to take an afternoon nap. Don’t worry about dragging a lot of traditional furniture outside, though; instead, opt for an antique daybed or a twin mattress on a lightweight wooden frame suspended from the ceiling. Informal, fun furniture will ensure that this cozy napping spot doubles as a gathering place for family and friends.
Regardless of the size of your porch or patio, you’ll be more likely to use a fun, spruced-up space than one that is bare and neglected. Peruse home improvement and decorating websites for more porch and patio decorating ideas, and let your imagination run wild.